Re: grant writing

Subject: Re: grant writing
From: chix linux <linux_chix -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:19:59 -0500 (EST)

Hello Greg:

I've worked most of my adult life in non-profit
organizations in one capacity or another. You may find
my brain to be "slim pickings" but I'd be happy to
help if I can.

The non-profit world is anything but lucrative and
with governments continually cutting program funding,
most organizations are scrabbling to find alternate
sources of funding.

In the 90s, money was available to hire consultants,
like me, to write things like grant proposals,
policies, procedures, quarterly reports etc. but much
of that money has dried up. I'm talking in Canada
where I am - I really can't speak to the situation in
the US.

You may want to find an organization in your area who
is looking for board members or volunteers to help
with their grant writing. I've done a quick web search
for non-profit jobs and found the sites below which
you may find helpful in researching grant writing
opportunities.

It helps to pick an organization in which you have an
interest then try to learn what their program
priorities are. Many organizations have a "wish list"
of programs they'd like to offer but don't have the
funding for. I've found that part of the grant writing
process often involves researching potential funders
whose funding criteria match the organization's
program area.

For example, the Optimist Club funds programs for
children and teens. I once wrote a proposal to the
Optimist Club which provided funding for a
support-group to teen survivors of sexual abuse.

Anyway, here are the links I found:
http://www.nonprofitcareer.com
http://www.nonprofit-jobs.org
http://www.idealist.org

Take a gander to get a feel for what's out there and
to see if your skills match their needs. You may also
e-me off list (linux_chix -at- yahoo -dot- ca) with any other
questions, comments or rude remarks - LOL - I'm happy
to help.

Good luck,
Barbara.

Subject: grant writing
From: "Greg T" <ggthomp -at- attbi -dot- com>

Howdy:

Are they any grant writers out there who I can pick
your brains about =
the
non-profit space?

I am interested in expanding my professional horizon
to working in the
non-profit world. I have predominately worked here in
Silicon Valley as
=
writer for software and internet companies. Even
though I am
contracting
now, I have seen the writing on the wall with this
recession; I think =
things
are going to get worse before they get better.

Thanks
Greg

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com