My first attempt at tech marcomm

Subject: My first attempt at tech marcomm
From: Kirsten Zerbinis <salmonzerbinis -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:04:42 -0500

Thanks to all of you who wrote and posted with helpful suggestions about writing product information. I am working on the piece now. I have decided on a two-pager, 8 1/2 by 11 (two sided), because that seems the cheapest and easiest to produce and distribute.

Page 1 will be brochure-style, and will contain a general, non-detailed overview of the basic features (emphasizing the benefits, not the mechanics) of the software. This page will say things like "Product X saves you time and money" and then have a few bullet points about how it does that.

Page 2 will be mostly text, and will explain the benefits in more detail. I read several other software fact sheets and product information sheets, and I saw one that was presented as an FAQ. I liked the question and answer style, and I think it is the most appropriate way to present the information. It lets readers scan for topics of interest, then read only what they want to -- of course, they will want to read all of it! Questions will be things like "What are the security features of X?" and "What are the minimum system requirements?"

Thanks again for everyone's help, and I invite you to comment, if you like.

--Kirsten Zerbinis
Shamelessly bolstering her portfolio while the company experiences death throes...

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com