Marcom as TechCom

Subject: Marcom as TechCom
From: "R. Johnson" <rjayz -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:52:57 -0800 (PST)

Some technical documents could use an infusion of marcom,
IMHO. Especially software manuals. In fact, I?d almost
prefer knowing the benefits of a particular feature or
function rather than instructions on how to use that
feature or function. Tell me why I?d want to use it, don?t
tell me how to use it, since a well-designed interface
obviates that kind of information anyway.

I also think that this type of documentation would have a
longer shelf-life and would encourage more people to
actually read the docs. And benefits-based docs'd answer
the question "how?s it going to help me solve my problem,"
rather than "why can?t I do..."

Any thoughts?

Robin Johnson

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com