RE: Directives In Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Directives In Technical Writing
From: "Thomas Bilbo" <tbilbo -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:33:50 -0800

Hi Con-Chan,

I've written some similar documents / statements in the past. What I've
found in my past as a manager and director of a tech pubs group; is that
these types of documents really affect the perceived value of your
department by executives and peers. Typically, when you spell out roles and
responsibilities, you also help to define how your group is perceived by
others in your company. Based on your executive level representation, this
perception can be credible, or laughable.

It really helps to have quality executive level buy-in when composing and
disseminating this type of statement. This makes the work and perceptions by
peers well worth the effort.

I've found it effective to write it as a statement of work and organization
for my publishing groups. The question of whether it will be adhered to, is
up to how you implement and maintain the momentum you create. I suggest
keeping the document as a living document and let your team have input.
You're basically defining their work and working environment (how they will
interact with the rest of the company), having their buy-in is essential.

Basically it's about how well you create and execute the plan.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Bilbo,
Sr. Technical Writer
tbilbo -at- earthlink -dot- net
H) 415-951-9920
C) 415-786-8157

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com