Re: Field Level HTML Help

Subject: Re: Field Level HTML Help
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:30:44 -0800

Carolynne,

I suspect it isn't what your "What's this?" topics
are catching, but what your application is throwing
that's at issue.

Fire up Bug Hunter (one of the robotools) and spy on
your application as you hit F1 and then right-click
on each field. If each field isn't throwing out a
separate string, there is nothing for your help
application to map to an individual topic, so you
can't do What's this?
(if it is, you're styling -- map the codes you see
to the individual help topics and you're hooked in)

On the programming side, the app needs to support
a separate mapping for each gui element and some
sort of access method, either the "?" in the title
bar or a right-click menu option (for Windows).
Talk to the dev's and see if the language they are
using will do this and if they're willing to take
the time to make it happen.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

At 09:28 AM 3/10/2003 -0800, Carolynne Robertson wrote:

We have an HTML help system built using Robohelp 2002. Our application
is built in Delphi 6.0.
Does anyone know if I can build field level help for a Delphi app (or
"What's This help," as Robohelp calls it) using Robohelp 2002?

The Robohelp documentation is vague. It states that the Whats This Help
Composer can only be used for C or C++ applications or Visual Basic
apps. It doesn't clarify if field level help can be built for other apps
using another method. Indeed, I tried using the Whats This Help Composer
and it didn't work on my executable. But I'm wondering if the Text Only
Topic method can be used to create field level help?

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com