RE: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)

Subject: RE: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:52:23 -0500

At 2:15 PM -0600 2/19/03, Foster, Willow wrote:

I volunteer at an animal shelter and have written a couple of training
pieces. I'm debating whether to include them once I finally get around to
creating a portfolio.

When I'm interviewing for certain types of projects--training design for retail customer service personnel, or procedures for receptionists at a hospital, for example--I pull out one of my first writing projects: a policies and procedures guidebook for volunteer office help at a church. It included things like how to answer the phone, run the mimeograph machine, and who to call if one of the homeless guys looking for handouts gets aggressive. I didn't get paid for it, and it isn't fancy, but it shows that I can write clear, non-condescending instructions for untrained and inexperienced staff.

By all means, keep copies of the training pieces ready to put in your portfolio for positions where training materials are appropriate. As long as you can speak to the issues involved in producing the stuff, nobody should blink at it.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

single-source layouts, and more!