Re: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)

Subject: Re: Providing Samples (Was RE: Why they don't ask for candidates by technology skills.)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:00:49 -0800

Foster, Willow wrote:

Hi all,

I volunteer at an animal shelter and have written a couple of training
pieces. I'm debating whether to include them once I finally get around to
creating a portfolio. One the one hand, they address complicated issues.
(Controlling an aggressive dog, for example.) I did a great deal of research
and worked very hard on these docs. I'm very proud of them. On the other, I
don't know if it would seem a bit flaky. Any thoughts?

Why not? They're legitimate writing samples, and some employers will be interested to see that you have an interesting life outside work. I also have a Misc. section in my portfolio for exactly this kind of work.

You might also find yourself being interviewed by another animal-lover. I once got a job because we keep parrots. When I went into the interview, I saw that the interviewer had a birdie playground on his desk, and we spend most of the interview exchanging cute stories about our conures and his cockatiel. The interviewer asked so few questions about my professional qualifications that it was obvious that our mutual interest was a major part of his decision to hire me.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Take six politicians to dig me a grave,
Take six intellectuals my soul for to save,
And six union workers, a red flag to wave
And one stupid singer to rant and to rave."
- The Men They Couldn't Hang, "Industrial Town"

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com