RE: ADMIN: Don't start down this road

Subject: RE: ADMIN: Don't start down this road
From: Michael Bryans <Michael -dot- Bryans -at- hummingbird -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:02:55 -0500

"Andrew Plato" wrote in response...

>> I do not agree with your remarks <snip>

> That is an extremely narrow viewpoint. People love to find scapegoats for
their
> problems. As such they will blame anybody other than themselves for their
> employment woes. Rather than improve their skills and located suitable
> employment, they point the finger at greedy corporations and foreigners
who
> dare to work less expensively. Such conversations usually wind down to
racist
> remarks at worse or at best, merely gross misunderstandings of economics.

Narrow, how? I was referring to the text of the post. I do not see the
alleged racist or xenophobic intent in the text, or between the lines. In
general, I agree with your scapegoat/blame theory. It might apply to
certain people. However, I do not think it fits in this case. If you are
still seeing a narrow viewpoint in my words, or between the lines, then
maybe you should consider a new optical prescription. No disrespect
intended.

>> IMO, your response to Tom's post is over-reactive, and
unreasonable.<snip>

> Eric is well within his authority to slap down topics that are not tech
comm
> related. From time to time I think he allows some topics to wander off
either
> for curiosity or inability to stop them. However in this case, I think he
has
> the right. I might also not that he did not directly call the person a
racist.
> But merely explained that he would not allow that topic to continue to
come to
> the eventual end point of intolerance and racism.

I acknowledged that right or authority in my message. You really ought to
get that prescription. You are twisting things to make a point. The
following clearly identifies the instigator and associates him with a
particular negative intent (Note: I've left out names and places):
"Do not even start down the racist, xenophobic
path that <xxxxxxx> instigated with his crack
about sending jobs to ..."

To voice an administrative desire to end threads that are not tech comm
related, one need merely say so ... even if that desire fails to achieve the
results. Perhaps the direct reference to a country in the original
offending post was unwise. Fair enough.

Now let's be clear: I did not directly say that you need glasses. Right?
Can we get back to work now?

Regards,
Mike

single-source layouts, and more!