Re: Style Guide standards: APA or the Chicago Manual of Style?

Subject: Re: Style Guide standards: APA or the Chicago Manual of Style?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:57:20 -0800

Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting wrote:

3. If Chicago isn't the choice for #1 or #2, then I will use it as a backup. All that teenytiny print really does include *almost* everything <g>.

When I was doing style guide presentations (and hawking
_Read Me First_ :-> ), one of our slides dealt with why
having a corporate style guide was better than just
using Chicago. For example, Chicago doesn't really
talk about how to write procedures, or provide guidelines
on writing for an international audience

Guides like Chicago and APA are also not prescriptive
about things like whether writers at a particular company
should use a serial comma or use up or down style
for headings. We recommendeded that if a company could
not afford the money or resources for development of
a totally dedicated style guide, they could use Chicago
(or RMF) but with a supplement for items specific to
their house style.

-- Janice

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com