RE: Style Guide standards: APA or the Chicago Manual of Style?

Subject: RE: Style Guide standards: APA or the Chicago Manual of Style?
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:42:59 -0500

I usually accept with a smile whatever style guide my client or manager insists on. That proves I'm a cooperative team player <g>.

Then I explain that No Style Guide Covers Absolutely All Situations---a good demonstration is to show the 1"-thick AP with its relatively large print sitting next to the 2.5"-thick CMoS with teenytiny print, then point out something that the skinny guide covers that Chicago doesn't and vice versa.

Then I tell them that I prefer to use the Cascading Stylebook Shelf process:

1. First, I make sure I comply with X [their preferred style guide].

2. If X doesn't cover a specific situation, I check whatever style guide seems to be the most commonly used in their particular industry: Microsoft or Sun for computer stuff, Yale for online work, APA for social sciences, CBE (now CSE) for math and natural science, Chicago for academic/humanities, and so on.

3. If Chicago isn't the choice for #1 or #2, then I will use it as a backup. All that teenytiny print really does include *almost* everything <g>.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

single-source layouts, and more!