Framemaker - translations into Greek

Subject: Framemaker - translations into Greek
From: "Hughes, Linda" <Linda -dot- Hughes -at- respironics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:13:16 -0500

Hello whirlers:

I've searched the archives for information on the challenges of translating
into Greek, surfed the net, googled, etc. and am no closer to concrete
answers than when I started. <sigh>

For anyone who has ever had a Frame 7.0 document translated from English
into Greek, I'd love it if you could take a few moments to enlighten me...

I need to know:

- The major points of how the process works. Is it basically the same as
translation into a Western European language? What are the differences?

- Will I be able to read the files after they are converted, or does that
require a different O/S?

- Would I be able to read a pdf file produced from the Greek FrameMaker
manual, or are there special O/S or software requirements in that case as
well?

- Is it, in your (experienced) opinion, better to convert the files to rtf
and publish a greek-language manual in Word? I'd hate to do it, but will if
necessary.

Yes, I will be asking these same questions of my translation house, but it
never hurts to get as many different perspectives as possible. Please
respond to me directly as well as to the list, I'm on digest.

Linda
Linda Hughes
Technical Writer / Translation Coordinator

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com