Re: The Lone Writer

Subject: Re: The Lone Writer
From: DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:38:59 -0800

As epilogue: I called my friend, the mutual contact for this position (he's a recruiter but is not getting a cut because of his mutual friendship position) and told him about the extensive work this contract will require and how it is not "just some rewriting". He spoke with the client and they agreed that the work description had grown since they first started searching for a writer at the $35 price.

Net result is that they agreed to the $50 price for 100 hours, after which we will each evaluate if we're happy with the relationship.

The moral? It never hurts to ask. At worst, they can say "That's all that's in the budget," and no one is the worse for wear. If you keep respect in your voice (and the incredulity out), you can talk about just about anything and not damage the relationship.

This list *is* a great resource. Mail lists alone make the Internet worth all its frustration.

Dave

-=-=-=-

I've been offered sole-writership at a web-based software startup company. They're offering $35/hour for full writer responsibilities to develop an on-line help/faq/instruction guide.
--
Dave Carpenter

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com