Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:52:53 -0700

Well, here is a thanks to Dan Goldstein and Robin (off-list) - and (sniff)
a response indicating that the root of the problem is still living. I am
writing to both of you together because I think that both of you might be
interested in your various ways of thinking about this mess.

First Robin: He asked if I was sure that the PDF maker knows it should
convert headings and styles to bookmarks, and that there are headings and
styles properly markes? Answer, yes indeed. I also did the "simple
document" test. At home (XP, Windows XP & Acrobat 5.05), the result with
PDF Maker was perfect. At the office, PDF Maker froze. Then I realized two
things:
1) you cannot make a PDF with bookmarks from Word if you use the two step
method (print to prn with the distiller printer, and then use Acrobat to
generate pdf from prn) - my memory had tricked me on that one.
2) you can make a PDF with bookmarks from Word using PDF Maker - if the
darn thing doesn't just freeze up! So, the document is not the problem,
and the combination of programs (XP, Windows XP & Acrobat 5.05) is not the
problem; there is something strange going on at work. I re-installed the
whole Office XP package this morning - to no avail. Now I will try
re-installing PDF Maker as such; and if that fails, doing the whole bit
with re-installing Acrobat.

And now to Dan:

I know about the order of installations; the Office applications you want
to use PDF maker have to be installed before you install Acrobat. What a
terrible attitude when Adobe says "We don't claim to support Word 2002 -
only Word 2000". One of the major features of Acrobat 5.05 is supposed to
be that it is compatible with XP!
About going back to the old setups: I didn't have any disastrous problems
with Word 97 / 8 and Distiller 4.05 - but I never did get the index or TOC
links to work in the PDF files (all I could master is getting Acrobat to
activate hyperlinks to the web)! Going from 4 to 4.05 "only" changed
searchability and seemed to make PDF maker more stable... In any case, I
didn't get as far with Word 97 and Distiller 4.05 as you did, so I'm not
quite as tempted by nostalgia as you must be!

Dian

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com