Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:26:30 -0700

Thanks, Dick - (replying here and off-list)
Bookmarks and links to the web are the most important things for me, but I
will save your information on TOC and index for later. I think I know the
knowledge base article you mentioned about deleting files and selectively
re-installing to get a fresh PDFMaker out of Acrobat - if so, the title is
"PDFMaker Unavailable in a Microsfot Office Application in Windows XP or
2000" - and I think it is solution 8 you are thinking about.
Well, I wound up doing a complete uninstall and new install of Acrobat.
This actually got the PDF maker to print my little neat Word file to a
lovely bookmarked PDF. Then I tried the big old nasty file, and the PDF
Maker froze again. So I am taking the big old nasty file home in a little
while and will see what's happening there, where the software setup is the
same (XP, Word XP, Acrobat 505), but the machine may be working more
efficiently.

Jan Schroed on the adobe user-to-user forum gave me a reference to another
paper in the knowledge base: "Troubleshooting Acrobat PDFMaker" and I will
start studying it NOW.

There is one more thing on my study/experiement list: On the user to user
forums there was an exchange on Oct 26,2002, where Robert Boyle wrote
about "Acrobat Microsoft Problems" - mentioning the same PDFMaker Freeze
that I have in the same setup. Jay Masters wrote that enabling the kernel
memory debugging feature (special pool feature) will allow you to see that
PDFMaker may "still be broken" in 5.05. Robert Boyle did not, however,
report back, and he seemed to have gone the way of erasing PDFMaker files
and re-installing PDFMaker - Solution 8 on the "PDFMaker Unavailable"
paper. I will have to get some techie help to find out why my machine at
work behaves so badly compared to the one at home.

Best -
Dian

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com