Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using Distiller 5.05 (operating-- system XP professional)
From: DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:06:43 -0700

In my previous job, we installed Adobe Distiller 5 (and then 5.05) *after*
we had already installed Word 2002. With Distiller 5, we couldn't get
links from the TOC or Index (in a PDF distilled from Word 2002). Once we
had installed 5.05, we were able to get links from the TOC only -- not the
Index. I spoke with Adobe support and their response was something to the
effect of, "We don't claim to support Word 2002 -- only Word 2000."

In my job before that, we used Word 97 and Distiller 4.05 (as you used
to), and we never had any trouble. Maybe we should all buy new machines
and install old (Office 97) software.

Dan Goldstein

Dian wrote:
> When my PC was running the following configuration: Office 2000
> Professional, the Word in Office 97, and Distiller 4.05, PDF bookmarks
> were automatically produced. These bookmarks matched the selected headings
> and styles in the Word file perfectly. If I remember correctly, I could
> achieve this result with both methods: PDFMaker or print to prn and then
> distill prn to pdf.
>
> But I cannot generate PDF bookmarks from my current configuration, where
> my PC is running XP Profession, Version 2002 , Word 2002 (also known as>
> Word 10), and Distiller 5.05.
> XP has been updated with Service Pack 1 and just about everything else.=

And:
> I did some more experiments last night and found that my old setup only
> produced bookmarks when I used Word's "PDFMaker"; printing to prn/ps and
> then to pdf made a PDF file without bookmarks (sorry for the
> misinformation in my plea for help). So, I am narrowing the problem down
> to something that is blocking PDFMaker from functioning in the new setup,
> even though all the Acrobat functions are integrated in Word.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com