Re: Reporting Structure/Work Model for Documentation Department

Subject: Re: Reporting Structure/Work Model for Documentation Department
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:43:02 +1100

From: "Andrew Plato"

>A true "center of excellence"
> for a doc department would be a team of writers with exceptional
*technical*
> knowledge about their employers products and services and the ability to
help
> both customers and internal staff use and understand those goods and
services
> through comprehensive and insightful documentation & training materials.

Very impressive. And yet, when someone posts
a link to an "insightful" paper examining the limitations
of font rasterizing engines--a technology that is
at the core of what most of us do every day
(i.e., try to make our well written texts work
efficiently on computer screens)--you dismiss
it as "fondling."

If Microsoft agreed that this wasn't worth bothering
with, they wouldn't be sinking a few million into
ClearType technology to try to work around the
limitations described in the article I pointed to. They
seem to think it important to find a way to deliver high-
definition text on line. Most people who deliver text for
a living (as I do) need to have "insight" into the technology
so they can "use and understand" it. And profit from it.

--
Mike W
Melbourne

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com