RE: Font Selection Process (Was: Fonts used in print)

Subject: RE: Font Selection Process (Was: Fonts used in print)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:31:58 -0700

I went through a brief font-fondling phase, but now I'm all about whatever
works. My target audiences all use PCs, not Macs. These people are used to
seeing Arial and Times New Roman, so I give them one of those 95% of the
time. No worries about whether they'll have the fonts on their machines,
no printer issues, no extra steps to embed fonts.

It's become popular to diss these fonts, TNR in particular, but they're
both so mainstream that I don't worry about them - they're both fairly
easy to read, in that they don't take the reader down any unusual paths. I
want people to read my CONTENT, not to ooh and ahh over my font choices.

I've worked in houses that used Helvetica instead of Arial, but I gotta
say, I HATE how it looks onscreen. With the prevalence of online doc, I'll
stick with Arial. I've published thousands of pages of documentation using
Arial, with no negative feedback from management or users. So to me, it
ain't broke.

This is admittedly coming from the quick and dirty school of publishing.
My opuses (opi?) have a limited shelf-life, and are packaged in 79-cent
binders from Office Depot. If I were publishing coffee-table books, I'd be
putting WAY more thought into this. But so far nobody's buying into my
"Siglines of the Stars" book proposal, so I'll stick to my day job.

Keith Cronin
who also likes Georgia, although I wouldn't say it's on my mind

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com