Re: Font Selection Process (Was: Fonts used in print)

Subject: Re: Font Selection Process (Was: Fonts used in print)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:06:37 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

I want people to read my CONTENT, not to ooh and ahh over my font choices.

Any body text font, unusual or not, that general readers notice is by definition either poorly used or unsuited for the purpose. Typography (as opposed to typographical design, which takes more risks) is supposed to be unobtrusive, working in the background to make reading easier.

All of the fonts mentioned so far in this thread are as unobtrusive as Times or Helvetica. I think your practical reasons for using standard fonts have more substance than this argument.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"'To be, or not to be; that's the question,' said Eeyore. 'Some of us can, and some of us can't, and that's all there is to it. You know what I've been suffering, Piglet? Slings and arrows, that's what. And it's my birthday as well. I would have liked a balloon. But what do I get? Slings and arrows. Not to mention a sea of troubles. Did I mention a sea of troubles, Piglet?'"
- Les Barker, "Eeyore's Speech From 'Piglet'"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com