RE: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?

Subject: RE: Anyone know anything about The Help Factory?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:31:32 -0700

Eric pointed out:

> I think your going a little wide of the mark there Keith. Sharon only asked if
> anybody knew of them or had experience using them. As there is no contact
> information on the website it's a pretty legitimate question to ask where they
> are located and who they are.

> There's nothing wrong about asking about companies on the list. We all
> ask about the merits of one piece of software over another, whether
> a piece of software is
> suitable or not, what other's experiences with various agencies was, etc. All
> valid questions whether from the angle of possible client or competitor trying
> to sum up the competition.

Maybe you have a point. But this is a tech writing company we're talking about, doing what we all do for a living. This is NOT a company whose services we as tech writers might employ, such as a translation agency, or a software company making tools we use. This is like saying, "Hey guys, what do you think of Anthrobytes as a tech writing firm?" It is my belief and understanding that it's not appropriate to do that on this list.

> Sharon is in no way responsible for the insults and
> accusations that have since been posited as opinion.
> Those who do not know of the company, nor have used the company's services
> should have thought a little harder before making wild, indefensible
> accusations and slurs.

I agree, and do not accuse Sharon of slandering the company, just of showing poor judgment in inquiring about it here. Those who did make negative remarks showed even worse judgment.

Keith Cronin
Tech writing. It's all fun and games until somebody gets an eye put out.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com