Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)

Subject: Re: A sobering encounter (So now what?)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:38:00 -0800

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

This morning I received this e-mailed reply to my most recent contribution to this thread. I thought that it was thought-provoking, and that it raises an interesting (if controversial) issue that I don't think we've discussed here since the market changed. So here's the message, edited to maintain the anonymity of the person who sent it to me:

Watching this thread all afternoon, all I can say is, your anonymous correspondent was dead on about the reactions people have. Mention unions,and suddenly the ignorance volume is cranked up to 11 and the speakers start to blow.

My own comments this morning about earning respect for yourself weren't anti-unionist - just an anticipation of the reaction. I'm a third generation unionist, and would gladly participate in a serious attempt to unionize. Only, I don't think that techwriters should go at it alone. As someone's joke about lone picketers highlights, for a union to have any clout, it would have to be for high-tech workers in general. there's the need - but,as the comments have shown,not the will.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Union scabbing is like you're about to be hanged and the hangsman comes to you and says, 'Gee, I hate to do this. But if it's any consolation, the platform was built by union carpenters, the rope was made by union ropemakers, and here, sir, is my card.'"
- Utah Phillips

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com