Re: Unionizing?

Subject: Re: Unionizing?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:48:01 -0800

Donald H. White wrote:

I am often amazed at how visceral the reaction is to the idea of a union
for white-collar employees. Are we inherently superior? Do we fear the
loss of our individual independence? Do we feel that, individually, we
can negotiate so much a better compensation package than any (or most)
others in our field?

I sometimes wonder if people simply don't want to realize their situations.

When I was in high school, a teacher asked my class to visualize what would happen in the next few decades. Disasters of all sorts were predicted. Then the teacher asked class members what would happen in their lives in the next few decades. All the usual dreams of marriage and success were given. Apparently, all these personal accomplishments were to take place at the same time that the world collapsed.

In the same way, I think that, when people talk about unions, they never envision a situation in which they might need one themselves. Diasters and unfair practices are events that happen to other people, not them. If they have been laid off or discriminated against, they tend to dismiss events as a one-time run of bad luck, rather than wonder if what happened is part of a trend or even systemic.

Then again, there's a similar reaction to the mention of the STC, too.
As if the organization is not of its members, but is some vague group
above and beyond that attempts to pontificate to the minions below.

In my case, one of the many reasons I have no time for the STC is that it doesn't even act like a professional association, let alone a union.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"You need technique to make a good job of life."
- Joyce Carey, "The Horse's Mouth"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com