Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??

Subject: Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:12:30 -0800

sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com wrote:

For example...the hiring company is based out of Vancouver, British
Columbia (Canada) and I'm in the next province over.

Contact me off-list if you need to know more about the company. I'm based in Vancouver, and I've worked with a lot of consulting companies, so I just might know something about the company.

How should I manage a
request for writing samples? Just send electronic copies? Should I pdf.
some of my docs? There could also be an issue surrounding permissions

Your instincts are right; you should honor your agreements. But you may find a way around. The simplest thing to do is to contact your former employers and ask for permission. Explain that you'll change any confidential information in the manual if necessary.

My guess too is that, if they're really interested, there will be some
sort of telephone interview. I've never done one of those before. Does
anyone have any tips or suggestions that I should keep in mind. Any do's
or do nots? Are there certain protocols? Are there any significant
differences in your collective experience between face to face interviews
and a telephone interview? In how they're conducted? etc.?

Prepare for a telephone interview just as you would for any other interview. Many people suggest that you should even dress as if going to an in-person interview to impress upon yourself the importance of the meeting. I'm not sure that I'd go that far, but I would suggest that you don't do the interview lying about in pyjamas.

For me, the hardest part of phone interviews is that you have only the voice to which to respond. As a result, you don't have as clear an idea of how your answers are being received. For this reason, take more time to think before responding, and resist the temptation to babble nervously.

I also suggest that you focus on the goal. It probably isn't being hired; chances are it's being asked to Vancouver for a second interview.

Otherwise, a telephone interview isn't much different than any other kind.

What if it's a conference call/multi-party type of interview? Does this
happen? Anyone had experience with this before?

The trouble in assessing responses is even harder in a conference call. Also, as in any conference call, you need to be careful not to interrupt others while they speak.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"You need technique to make a good job of life."
- Joyce Carey, "The Horse's Mouth"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com