RE: The Burden of Screen Captures

Subject: RE: The Burden of Screen Captures
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:34:11 -0600

> translated to up to 10 languages, which means that I will
> need to carry out approx. 600-1200 screen captures in total (all
translations
> included). I am not looking forward to it.

I think the advice to consider if this is the best method of accomplishing
your objective is important. IMHO coming to the conclusion that you'll need
between 600-1200 screen captures should be a flag that causes you to look at
other options. But if there is no other solution, then so be it. Increase
your time estimates for the project.

> 2. If there is no easier way, does anyone know if there is
> there a screen capturing software around that creates an autonumber when
you save the
> image? That would save me some time, since I save all image files (and
> document files) with a prefix + a sequential number.

Filenames consisting of magic numbers really bother me. As another poster
mentioned, it's incredibly furstrating to go to a project folder and see
hundreds of files named "app-image-XXX.jpg." Unless it's absolutely
impractical, I recommend choosing a meaningful naming scheme, with the idea
being that you can identify an image without opening it by reading the name.

I inherited a help system from former colleague who titled all of her HTML
topics "TopicXX.htm" and all of her images "ImageXX.gif", and used a flat
file structure. In a very large project with many files, I wasted an
incredible amount of time trying to locate things.

Chris Grant

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com