Re: numbering chapter, section and susbsection headings

Subject: Re: numbering chapter, section and susbsection headings
From: Greg Holmes <holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:48:15 -0500

> Does numbering chapter, section and susbsection headings encumber rather
> than signpoint navigation through bigger manuals? I think page numbers are
> sufficient for indicative purposes.

Depends on the document and the audience. If the numbers are largely
arbitrary, and the document only used sporadically, probably not very useful.

However, nuclear propulsion plant manuals in the Navy are heavily numbered,
and if you refer to Operating Instruction 9.3.7.2, engineering personnel will
at least know what the 9.3 means (and may recognize the whole thing, if it is
a frequently used procedure). If I remember right, the first number
identified a system, the second the type of procedure (startup, normal,
abnormal, shutdown, etc). Something like that. Anyway, in that environment
it was very useful.

Greg Holmes

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com