Re: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting

Subject: Re: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:56:49 -0500

> > While I have been a technical writer for a number of years, I haven't
> > really been in this position before--defending my decision to document
> > instead of wool-gathering. Have others been in this position? What advice
> > can you give me? The job market is very tight right now, I love where I
> > work. And I don't want to make any mistakes that might cause my contract
> > to not be renewed. Your advice is appreciated.
>
> Factor Mr. MFA out of the equation. Chunk off work for him to do and then go
off
> and do your own work. Remove all dependencies between you and him. On
deadline
> day, you hand the boss/reviewers your completed work and then let Mr. MFA
look
> like a moron.
>
> I worked with a guy like this before. They are their own worst enemy. Just
make
> sure you don't become associated with his failures.

This is very bad advice.

If there is not a policy or a mechanism in place to deal with the issue of how
you two are to proceed, talk to your immediate supervisor and develop one
*now*. Don't factor anyone out of any equation. That's typical bullying
behavior. Speak to the person who has the authority to decide how the
documentation should be done.

You are two writers who have divergent views on how the company's documents
are to be created? You need someone to take charge. If you feel you don't want
to do that because it would be counterproductive, enlist the assistance of a
manager. Surely *someone* there is responsible for documentation besides this
staff writer. As a contractor, to whom do you report? So many questions occur
to me, but I just had to write to urge you not to try to make the other writer
look like a moron.
It's not only immoral, but it's downright nasty and unprofessional.

Real writers don't do that.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info
617-354-7084