RE: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting

Subject: RE: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:26:16 -0700

I completely agree with Bonnie's reply, ... not just because she's always
dead-on with her answers. ;-)

My opinion: The two of you need to sit down, and decide how to tackle the
project as a team - regardless of either one's personal, or professional,
opinions. Your manager must surely expect one document, one set of
milestones, and that the work be divvied up in an agreeable fashion. Also,
the worst documents - are the ones where the co-authors decide to go off in
different directions (within the document).

I.M.H.O. ... You haven't been there long enough to know the corporate
culture (i.e. coming forth - you may get praised, or you may get
reprimanded). However, by deciding to do your own thing, others could
interpret this action as 'not being a team player.' Should you decide to
solve the problem by being underhanded, defensive, etc., there is a strong
possibly others (within the company) won't exactly look forward to working
with you in the future.

Therefore, it's always best, to try and find some common ground with your
co-worker (win/win situation). If there is still no head-way - you and your
co-worker should sit down, and agree how best to present those remaining
sticking-points to management, for resolution. Next, you can make an
appointment, for the two of you, to meet with the manager involved.
Finally, Present your argument to the manager, then let that person decide
what they believes to be the best solution; It is also important to go with
the decision, and support it (even if it's not to your liking).

I have seen lots of employees come and go because of bad attitudes,
undermining others, not willing to compromise, etc. Don't get trapped up in
the 'I'm right' attitude, unless you want conflict at your door.

At least that's my cents, on this.

Regards,

Bruce

Bonnie Granat wrote:

> This is very bad advice.
>
> If there is not a policy or a mechanism in place to deal with the
> issue of how
> you two are to proceed, talk to your immediate supervisor and develop one
> *now*. Don't factor anyone out of any equation. That's typical bullying
> behavior. Speak to the person who has the authority to decide how the
> documentation should be done.
>
> You are two writers who have divergent views on how the company's
> documents
> are to be created? You need someone to take charge. If you feel
> you don't want
> to do that because it would be counterproductive, enlist the
> assistance of a
> manager. Surely *someone* there is responsible for documentation
> besides this
> staff writer. As a contractor, to whom do you report? So many
> questions occur
> to me, but I just had to write to urge you not to try to make the
> other writer
> look like a moron.
> It's not only immoral, but it's downright nasty and unprofessional.
>
> Real writers don't do that.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com