Re: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting

Subject: Re: In the Trenches, A Bit of Venting
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:21:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: November 14, 2002 12:05 AM

> I'm with Andrew, Bonnie.
>
> Remember, Andrew's not the guy making the MFA look like a moron. Mr. MFA
> is doing that all by himself.

You are assuming that he is looking like a moron. Perhaps he isn't. I don't
think that I have enough information to make a conclusion.

> The cold hard truth is that sometimes you get stuck with coworkers who
> simply aren't very good. At first you give them the benefit of the doubt,
> even try to help them. But when it becomes clear that they either cannot
> or will not do the work, you do your employer no favors by masking that
> fact. Do your gig, and let them crash and burn. Then maybe they'll hire a
> coworker that you can work with more productively.

Especially when you're a contractor, your first line of defense, as it were,
has to be the person to whom you report. It is inappropriate to hash things
out with a peer.

Also, *someone* has to be the decision-maker there. Who is it? I don't know
who it is, but everything hinges on that, it seems to me. There are entirely
too many open questions, though, for me to give a more definitive answer. But
fragmenting the documentation effort seems unprofessional.

> This is not advice for managers. This is advice for in-the-trenches
> writers who get saddled with coworkers who don't pull their weight.

The responsibility of a contractor who is having such problems is to his
agency and to the client. It is not appropriate to just hunker down and ignore
what's going on around you.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info
617-354-7084