RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:31:38 -0500

[...]
> Sure, but this is stuff any writer should already know before
> they even show up
> to work. On day one I expect a writer to know their way
> around Frame or Word, be
> able to make information gathering more effecient, and pick
> fonts in about 20
> seconds. This is basic, 101 level information all writers
> should have and does
> not require a great deal of debate.
>
> Once you have all these skills, then you're ready to actually
> start putting some
> rubber to the pavement and writing content.

You get to hire people who already know all the tools
that they'll be required to use, so they can indeed
devote 111% of their time exclusively to learning...
well, I get the impression that anybody who works for
you is also pre-selected for muon-level networking
and security knowledge ... ok, then, to writing about
what they already know, using tools that already
work, and that they've already mastered.

The last two places where I came in as a tech writer,
I had to learn to work in a new (to me) tool (or several),
while getting up to speed on the employer's tech. More, I
had to install and configure the tools, because I
was the only one in the building using them, so the
IT people had no clue.

In addition, I did run into gnarly font issues, because
the company (in one case) had to be dragged kicking
and screaming into accountability, because they'd
settled on a lovely corporate font that:

a) they didn't own

b) didn't work cross-platform

c) was incomplete for some of the stuff I needed to do.

Unless you can control your environment and have a great
deal of control over what the customer accepts, then in
many cases, font-fondling and layout and other presentation
issues are either ongoing or recurring. An example that
I mentioned in another post is the Marketing Department
that justifies their existence by doing a makeover every
year or three. This latest time, they thought it would
be a half hour's work for me to simply incorporate the
lovely template that they'd created (over several weeks...)
in Quark. It took some explaining that their template
could be used as a model, but could not be simply
"imported" into FrameMaker or Word.

In order to disabuse them of the notion that I should
just switch to Quark, I gave the graphics guy a text-only
dump of my last 300-page manual. Needing to prove something,
he put in overtime to Quark-ify it over the next few days,
and then he came back to me with a superior smile and the
document all lovely in Quark.

So, I gave him eleven simple changes to make... and then
told him to update the ToC and Index and get it back
to me by noon with the cross-references in place for
PDF and HTML versions. He's less smug now, and has
developed a thing for "division of labor". Works for me.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com