RE: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: RE: STC Letter to the Editor
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:44:53 -0500

[...]
> I am so busy writing technical docs to satisfy my clients
> that I must be
> skipping the important things like para indents and 1.5 inch gutters.

Well, if you had to send your books for printing in
a different format than you were accustomed to using,
maybe binding margins might take on a new importance.
... especially after a print-run came back with the
inner-margin stuff impossible to see, or after your
printing supplier had obligingly created the proper
margin by shrinking the image size, thereby making
your footnotes too tiny to read.

Or, if your customer saw other documents that had
edge-bleed "thumb-tabs", and demanded the same, then
suddenly you'd have an interest in fonts and in the
technical requirements of making that bit of cosmetology...
happen.

Or if your audience included the hard-of-seeing, or
people who needed to work in poor lighting conditions,
you might suddenly adopt an interest in physical
readability issues, binding styles that worked in
cramped/windy/inverted work environments, text/icon
colors that showed nicely in night-vision or emergency
lighting conditions.

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com