Resumes - don't wait 'til June!

Subject: Resumes - don't wait 'til June!
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:02:07 -0700

I tried sending this yesterday, but it bounced back. I suppose it's a little stale now, but it still seems worth posting.

---------
Carolee Burgess wrote:
... I find this [resume] thread very interesting and helpful. I have saved
all the pertinent advice; I am sure that by graduation (June) I will be
looking for it. Thanks to all who are commenting!
---------

Hi Carolee,

I'm on digest, so I apologize if I'm repeating advice that's already been given. I would suggest that you _not_ wait until June to begin your job search. Getting your resume in the hands of potential employers and making contacts in the local business community now will be of tremendous use to you next June. Others on this list have posted great advice on how to do this; a search through the archives may be worthwhile.

I don't know if it's feasible, but you may also want to look into finding a part-time internship where you could get some experience and plump up your portfolio, too. After I graduated, I was _very_ glad that I had taken a year off to do a technical writing internship.

Good luck with the conclusion of your studies!

-Eva
eva -dot- barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com