Re: raison d'être

Subject: Re: raison d'être
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:37:55 -0400

For a while, the parachute industry became really
paranoid about potential liability, and some manuals
had more disclaimer than factual information and
instruction.

Manufacturers also began putting big orange labels (about
the size of a piece of letter-size or A4 paper... I never
actually measured) on the tail of each new canopy
and on the back panels of harness/container assemblies.

So, we made up a spoof t-shirt with that label on
the front... until you looked closer:

Warning!
This is not a parachute. This is a lampshade.
Use of this lampshade in parachuting activities
can put you at serious risk, and may void the
warranty.

This lampshade is not intended for military or
cargo use.

Exit weight for this lampshade should not exceed
300 pounds. Airspeed should be less than 150 nautical
miles per hour when this lampshade is deployed.

Use a properly rated fuse or breaker.

Be sure to use only energy-saving lightbulbs. Refer
to a certified rigger or electrician for instruction in
the use of this lampshade, and for any modification
or repair to this lampshade.

Note: This is not really a lampshade, either. Use of
this device void where prohibited by law or local
electrical code.

Note: This is not a warning label.

I forget the rest... it was ten years ago.

It made for a neat t-shirt, but it sure made the
equipment U-u-u-g-ly!

/kevin

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 20:51, cpwinter -at- rahul -dot- net
wrote:

> This reminds me greatly of the signs on the doors to
> maintenance areas of the hotel where the World Science
> Fiction Convention was recently held.
>
> Now, you'd think they would be the standard sort of
> warning, like "No admittance" or "Authorized personnel
> only" or a brusque but effective "Keep Out -- This means
> YOU!"
>
> No; what these signs (paper, but professionally
> printed) said was, "This is Not a Door". Needless to say,
> the attendees at the convention had a lot of fun adding
> rejoinders to the signs.

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com