Re: OT? Financial Questions

Subject: Re: OT? Financial Questions
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:56:27 -0400

I dunno. It sounds fairly technical to me, and you are
writing it, so...

I would want the book to say, in big letters on the
cover: This book is intended only for the United States.

Or, within the text, make clear distinctions whenever you
refer to general topics, hints, tips, etc., that could
apply to anybody, versus those that are affected by
jurisdiction. For example, I'm in Canada, your closest
neighbor country (yes, there's Mexico, but I'm betting
that your first edition comes out in English, so... :-)

Of course, if you DID do the extra research to compare
and contrast the effects of tax rules and other law,
you'd add another few million to your possible audience.

One major difference that always gets mentioned is that
you folks get to deduct at least the interest on your
mortgages when you pay taxes. We don't. Little things
like that can have a tremendous effect on one's
approach to financial planning.

Outside the US and Canada, I'm afraid that applicability
would fall off *rapidly* with distance.

Even so, to cover just the US of A, you'd have to
get into some regional and state-law differences.

The basic principles are probably the same the world
over, but people would be buying your book for the
practical application.

/kevin

On Thursday 03 October 2002 12:39, Gilger.John wrote:
> Maybe this is off topic, but...
>
> I've been contacted by a retired Certified Financial
> Planner about writing a book about personal financial
> planning in the twenty-first century. We are in the
> brainstorming and outlining stage.
>
> I am curious, what topics would you like to see
> addressed, or what questions would you like answered if
> you were buying a book like this?
>
> It would probably bes best to respond off-list, since the
> techwriting tie-in is kinda loose :)

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com