re: raison d'être

Subject: re: raison d'être
From: cpwinter -at- rahul -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:51:41 -0700

On 2 Oct 2002, at 14:01, Lin Sims wrote:

> I'll admit I hadn't thought of this sign as a cry for help from a real
> technical writer, but it's one that always made me say "huh?".
>
> This sign was on a stairwell door, and it said (wait for it):
>
> "Use Stairs Between Floors Only"
>
> I never have figured out where else they thought the stairs would be
> used.

This reminds me greatly of the signs on the doors to maintenance
areas of the hotel where the World Science Fiction Convention was
recently held.

Now, you'd think they would be the standard sort of warning, like "No
admittance" or "Authorized personnel only" or a brusque but effective
"Keep Out -- This means YOU!"

No; what these signs (paper, but professionally printed) said was,
"This is Not a Door". Needless to say, the attendees at the convention
had a lot of fun adding rejoinders to the signs.

Chris

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com