Re: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: "Grammar Stinks."
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:11:44 +0000

I wrote:

>> I mean, drastically abbreviating words would have had
>> the same supposed benefits in the past, whether using
>> typewriters, pen/paper, or papyrus. It would have been
>> faster and cheaper, for those used to it. Yet it
>> didn't happen, not in the wholesale way ircspeak is
>> supposed to r001 us all soon. So my crystal ball is
>> still cloudy on this point ... ;)

and linda -dot- sims -at- verizon -dot- net replied:

>It's already happening. I just read an article in the
>NYTimes that English teachers are encountering a lot of
>"Internet Shorthand" in their students' papers.

Well I don't doubt that kids will use it (they are, or we
wouldn't be talking about it). What I question is whether
it will become accepted standard usage, vs. remaining
something viewed as unprofessional outside a very specific
subculture, or outside of very informal emails or
parodies. We'll see.

Greg Holmes

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com