re: HTML: nested lists OK?

Subject: re: HTML: nested lists OK?
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:19:57 +0000

>Apparently the HTML spec does not allow for nested lists
>(ie UL tage inside another UL tag). However all the
>browsers I've tested display nested lists fine. Does
>anyone know any reason not to nest UL and OL tags in
>HTML?

Hi John-

I've never had any problem nesting another UL *inside* a
LI tag. In other words, the structure was (in
psuedo-code, with no closing tags):

UL
--LI
--LI
--LI
----UL
------LI
------LI
--LI

If you think about it, this makes sense. The inner list
will need some sort of introductory text anyway. So
inside one of the outer list items, you'll have some text,
a BR tag, a complete nested list, then close the outer LI
tag.

Try it, and let me know if this doesn't make sense.

--
Greg Holmes

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com