Re: PDF in full screen mode with magnifying tool only

Subject: Re: PDF in full screen mode with magnifying tool only
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:07:18 +0100

Sylvia asks:
> Is there a way to save a PDF in full screen mode (this is the easy
> part) keeping only the magnifying tool (zoom in/zoom out)?

Keith replies;

--

One thing you could do, is to put some buttons / active areas
in your document itself -- either on the header, footer, or as

In theory any UI menu option in acrobat has a matching
command which can be embedded in the PDF in this way;
the commands you need would seem to be: ZoomIn, ZoomOut,
and maybe ZoomTo -- although I've not tried these commands
myself (I've tried to choose a page size that looks ok in
full screen mode on a laptop so that you don't need to
zoom in).

How you put these commands into your PDF doc will depend
on what tool you are authoring in; it's a doddle in LaTeX,
but I'm guessing it's not so easy in Word or Frame or more
people would do this sort of thing in their PDF docs.

The full version of Acrobat would let you do it by hand but
that's not ideal if you wrote the doc in Frame and will need
to reproduce/update it often.

HTH
Chris.

PS. If any LaTeX users out there want to know how to do this
I can heartly recommend "The LaTeX Web Companion"
by Michel Goossens and Sebastian Rahtz
(Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-43311-7).

PPS. I can understand why M$ don't make it so easy to do
this kind of thing in PDF, as they want to keep selling
that awful Powepoint effort; but why are Adobe so
backward at coming forward?

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com www.lightworkdesign.com

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com