Print SQL Server database diagram on one sheet

Subject: Print SQL Server database diagram on one sheet
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:56:15 -0400

Folks,

We have a request from a customer to send a PDF of our entire SQL Server database diagram on one large page. The customer wants to print it on a large plotter rather than taping a bunch of letter-size pages together.

What I have tried is this:

I used the Adobe installer to create a new PostScript printer on FILE:.

I hand-edited the Adist5.ppd to add a new paper size that, for convenience, I called E2. The size is large enough to accommodate the drawing.

I specified E2 as the default size for the new printer and made the new printer the default on the machine where this was done.

I opened SQL Server Enterprise Manager and clicked the Print button for the diagram.

When the Print dialog opened, I selected the Distiller printer, clicked Properties, and selected E2 paper. (This should have been the default selection, but of course Letter was the default.)

When I did this, the blue page break lines in the diagram disappeared, suggesting that Enterprise Manager got the message about the paper size.

I clicked OK to print the diagram to a PS file.

When I subsequently distilled the PS file, the PDF was 20 letter-size pages again.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dick

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com