Re: Re: Context sensitive help for .NET

Subject: Re: Re: Context sensitive help for .NET
From: Janis Greenberg <Janis -dot- Greenberg -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:38:41 -0700

Bill,

Okay, from WebWorks Pro, I get foo.htm#1001.

I assume you get all numbered names, like we do.

So here the next question? Will those numbers be the same each time that I generate the html?

If yes, then so far so good. If not, I think I have a serious problem.

If yes, then..

The kind of help I'm talking is the brand new, not yet out there MS 2 Help.

Since you probably haven't used it yet (no one really has), can you answer this question regarding WinHelp or HTMLHelp?

The application wants keywords like System.Tool.Textbox and I want to give it names like foo.htm#1001. Is there some standard technique to map from one to the other?

thanks a lot

janis

Bill Swallow wrote:

> If using Pro, consider an online Help format instead of HTML. I believe
> the preferred Help format for .Net is MS HTML Help, but any Help system
> will work (though you'll probably get funny looks if you ship WinHelp).
>
> The context-sensitive elements for HTML would be the filename and any
> named anchor within. So, if you have a file called foo.htm and a named
> anchor of <a name="goo"> then your application should call foo.htm#goo.
> Else break your HTML files up so there's one topic per file and just
> call the filename.

The opinions expressed here are solely my own.

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com