Re: Like long hours?

Subject: Re: Like long hours?
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:07:20 -0400

jgarison -at- ide -dot- com wrote:

> I've been reading this thread off an on, and it just won't die. Perhaps I
> can put a stake through its nasty little heart ...
>

> It has nothing to do with people's attitudes or abilities. It has to do with
> expectations, and a contractual agreement entered into by both parties.
>
> As an employee, I expect to work 40 or so hours a week. ...
>
> There's not really much else to say about it. ...

No, but that reminds me of a story which gives another perspective.

There was a book called "Soul of a New Machine" that followed a team
as they designed a new mini-computer. The Data General (remember them?)
Eclipse, their answer to the Digital (r..?) VAX. DG desparately needed
that machine to remain competitive.

Most of the design team were bright new engineering grads. Everyone
involved was working their butts off, both the engineers and the
technicians. The project was important, urgent, high-status, ...
70-hour weeks, overnight marathons, ...

At one point, though, one of the techincians left a pay stub where
one of the engineers could find it. The engineers were more than a
bit miffed to find that the technicians -- unionized workers, at
time-and-a-half for overtime -- were making considerably more than
an engineering salary.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com