Re: Glad to have Andrew back / Wonder what he thinks of ISO-9000 cert ification

Subject: Re: Glad to have Andrew back / Wonder what he thinks of ISO-9000 cert ification
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 23:06:43 +0000

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:45:50 -0400, while chained to a desk in the scriptorium, sbri -at- haestad -dot- com ("Sean Brierley") wrote:

$I'm not Andrew, but I think ISO-9000 certification is a crock. That is,
$the idea ain't bad, of having a documented, repeatable process. But, you
$can document crap, it adds to the cost of a product in an inappropriate
$way, and it smacks of protectionism.

I think the whole idea behind ISO 9000 was to provide a consistent quality product. That is, if I took a batch of product from Plant A, all items in that batch would be of roughly the same quality. Further, if I compared the product from Plant A to the product from Plant B, the two should have roughly the same quality.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't matter if the product is crap. It is consistent crap.

At the same time, if the product is good, there may be an advantage to having ISO 9000 certification, at least from a marketing perspective.

There is a real benefit to the salesman who can show a product to the customer and be able to honestly say, "Yes, we can produce X amount of these and they will all be of comparable quality. Does this meet your needs?"

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer

Please respond to the group. My address is set to reject e-mail from senders not in my address book.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com