Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: "Bob Hooker" <rlhooker -at- telocity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:09:56 -0400

Andrew wrote:

> From a bird's-eye view, however, I put forth the question: Doesn't it wind
> up the same?
>
> In one scenario everyone pays for everyone's foolish accidents through
taxes
> that fund public health. In the other scenario, everyone pays for
everyone's
> foolish accidents through increased costs of insurance, higher prices
(since
> probable legal settlements are factored into the pricing), and so on. In
the
> former, bureaucracy eats part of the funds raised by taxes. In the other,
> lawyers eat part of the funds recovered in lawsuits.

Exactly! The question now is which system is fairer, (in terms of the amount
of hassle it takes to get compensated, who gets compensated and for how
much) more cost effective, (are lawyers cheaper than bureaucrats?) and more
honest (recognizing that *it* happens vs. cooking up fictions that breed
contempt for the legal system)?

Tech writer tie-in: Back to work, me, but participating in these kinds of
discussions is far more interesting than fixing an index.