RE: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: RE: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:52:16 -0700

Hoo-ray to Hooker and Carnall for their insights regarding the correlation
between litigiousness and the lack of a social safety net (which would carry
medical cost that one would otherwise need to sue to recover).

>From a bird's-eye view, however, I put forth the question: Doesn't it wind
up the same?

In one scenario everyone pays for everyone's foolish accidents through taxes
that fund public health. In the other scenario, everyone pays for everyone's
foolish accidents through increased costs of insurance, higher prices (since
probable legal settlements are factored into the pricing), and so on. In the
former, bureaucracy eats part of the funds raised by taxes. In the other,
lawyers eat part of the funds recovered in lawsuits.

In short, in either scenario, everyone pays and a third party gets a piece
of the action.

Technical writing tie-in? Drop the thread and get back to work, you!