Help! Relative links in MS Word

Subject: Help! Relative links in MS Word
From: "BOLLAND, Craig" <Craig -dot- Bolland -at- qed -dot- qld -dot- gov -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:57:57 +1000

Hi all!

I'm trying to construct a master / sub document structure using MS Word
2000. The idea is to be able to put the document on an intranet site to be
viewed either as an entire document (via the master doc) or as individual
subdocuments. Client's requirement, not my idea ;)

The problem is that word, by default, creates subdocuments using absolute
hyperlinks (eg: C:\\my documents\blah1.doc) rather than relative (blah.doc).
So, if the directory structure changes all the links break. I can't move the
master & sub docs anywhere, ship them on disk, or whatever, even if their
relationship to eachother stays the same (IE: all in the one directory).

Anyone know how to create a word master doc with relative links? Any
assistance would be really, really, really appreciated.

Ta.

Craig.