Re: AuthorIT and RoboHelp

Subject: Re: AuthorIT and RoboHelp
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:33:42 +0100

I've used both, RoboHelp 2yrs ago, AuthorIt a few months back.

IMHO, AuthorIt is by far the better tool for single sourcing - if that's
what you want to do - and I like the whole object orientated thing. The
downside is that the online documentation isn't exhaustive, though the
tutorial is pretty good. Overall, I'd say it was worth the effort.

Suggestions:
-If you want to speed things up, compose within AuthorIt rather than Word.

"in order for the conversion to work, I would need to first create each
style in AuthorIT before the conversion. "

-You only have to do this once since you can also use projects as templates.

Tool choice is a tricky one
Good luck
(Who holds no brief for AuthorIt but quite likes it.)

[My opinions, not those of my company etc etc]
"Ilana Cohney" <ilanac -at- gentrack -dot- com> wrote in message
news:163029 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

I have been using RoboHelp for a few years now and find it works well.
However, my current employment would like me to change to AuthorIT in line
with other company branches.
Up until now I have always written a document in Word and then converted it
into online format using RoboHelp. This works well for me as my cross
references automatically convert to hyperlinks and the styles in my word
document convert well. I tried doing this using AuthorIT and found that in
order for the conversion to work, I would need to first create each style in
AuthorIT before the conversion. Obviously, this is time consuming. Is
there any faster way to work? I also find that unlike RoboHelp, AuthorIT
can not hotspot specific areas in a graphic. I use this feature quite a bit
as I often use flowcharts of procedures in documents.
As a novice user I am finding AuthorIT unnecessarily complicated. I would
like to hear from anyone who has experience with both applications who can
help me decide if it is worth trying to persuade my managers to let me
continue using RoboHelp, or does AuthorIT have redeeming features that I do
not yet appreciate.

Ilana Cohney
Documentor / Trainer
Sanderson Australia