AuthorIT and RoboHelp

Subject: AuthorIT and RoboHelp
From: "Ilana Cohney" <ilanac -at- gentrack -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:25:50 +1000

I have been using RoboHelp for a few years now and find it works well. However, my current employment would like me to change to AuthorIT in line with other company branches.
Up until now I have always written a document in Word and then converted it into online format using RoboHelp. This works well for me as my cross references automatically convert to hyperlinks and the styles in my word document convert well. I tried doing this using AuthorIT and found that in order for the conversion to work, I would need to first create each style in AuthorIT before the conversion. Obviously, this is time consuming. Is there any faster way to work? I also find that unlike RoboHelp, AuthorIT can not hotspot specific areas in a graphic. I use this feature quite a bit as I often use flowcharts of procedures in documents.
As a novice user I am finding AuthorIT unnecessarily complicated. I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with both applications who can help me decide if it is worth trying to persuade my managers to let me continue using RoboHelp, or does AuthorIT have redeeming features that I do not yet appreciate.

Ilana Cohney
Documentor / Trainer
Sanderson Australia
0413 601 777