Re: Once vs. when, and low pay

Subject: Re: Once vs. when, and low pay
From: "Jenny Berger" <jenny -at- malleron -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:22:18 -0500

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought issues like "once vs. then" (a
"_language_use" issue which isn't particularly exclusive to tech writing)
were considered to be inappropriate, per Eric's recent rules reminder. I
mean, isn't that what style guides and freshman comp textbooks are for?
Isn't that what we have brains and judgement for?

At any rate, while it's all well and good that some people derive some sort
of value from such minutae-mongering, it's hardly within the intended realm
of this forum. If I have a "simple grammar, spelling, etc. question," I'll
consult more appropriate sources.

Ditto with all this about "The Man dissing our tech writer brothers" and
being compelled to represent the posse by remaining unemployed and homeless
until Doomsday when we're magically accorded the "respect" we trying to
entitle ourselves to.

How about we try respecting ourselves by actually talking about technical
communication?

Jenny