RE: techwr-l Hourly vs Salaried

Subject: RE: techwr-l Hourly vs Salaried
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbri -at- haestad -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:28:18 -0400

In at-will employment, quitting or termination needs no notice.

Normally, if termination is a layoff, that is, it is "friendly," then some severance is given, not by obligation. Similarly, those leaving a job usually give 2 weeks so as not to burn bridges, such that future references are okay.

As for India, it's a more global economy these days. I dunno what to say, other than it is understandable for employers to screw the local economy and use slave labor from overseas . . . as a consumer, if you don't like it, you have little recourse, unless you are able to get together enough money to persuade your politicians in D.C. or unless you are organized enough to get a boycott to work . . ..

Cheers,

Sean