Seeking terminology advice

Subject: Seeking terminology advice
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:35:50 +0200

I'm seeking terminology advice.

I know a fellow who's developed a product for
music geeks. Suppose you're crazy about Bjork.
You own Bjork CDs and you've downloaded Bjork
photos and Bjork lyrics and Bjork articles and
whatnot. Well, just convert your Bjork CDs to
MPEGs and this product will organize them all,
together with all the collateral files you've
downloaded, into a well-organized collection on
a single self-contained, self-starting CD.
Hear the music, view the pictures, read the
lyrics and articles... all from one homemade CD.

But I hear you say "I like my audio CDs better
than I like MPEGs." Okay, then the moment you
insert your Bjork CD into the computer's CD drive,
we will start up our program and show you all the
appropriate pictures, lyrics, and articles but of
course they won't be on the CD. In this case they'll
be on your hard disk.

So here's what we need terms for: The type of
collection that resides on a homemade CD and
includes everything, and the type of collection
where everything but the music is on your hard
disk and the music is on a CD as usual.

The developer sometimes thinks of the first kind
as a "real" collection. You can hold it in your
hand, you can lend it to a friend, you can duplicate
it, it's real. So the other kind is a "virtual"
collection because it acts the same but it's really
split between a regular ol' CD on the one hand and
your computer on the other hand.

But sometimes he calls the split collection
an "imported" collection because the CD
comes to us out of the everyday world and we
incorporate it into our own design.

Virtual collection or imported collection or
split collection? Real collection or what?

(Moreover, is "collection" even the right word?
Lots of CDs that you buy at the store call
themselves collections, and when we use MPEGs,
we can fit many such traditional collections
onto one CD, so maybe our own is really an
ubercollection that should have some other
name?)

All advice will be welcome.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l