Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?

Subject: Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:46:50 -0700 (PDT)

> >>The longer that users have been using a computer,
> and the more
> >>technically oriented they are, the more likely
> that they won't
> >>care to receive HTML e-mail.
> >>

> >Oh, I don't know that I agree with this at all.
> >
> Why?
>
> My rationale: people who have been using e-mail for
> eight years or more
> sometimes still use CLI mail clients, while those
> who are technically
> oriented are still sometimes less likely to use a
> GUI tool.

I've been using e-mail in one form or another since
1991, and even now that I use Yahoo Mail, Outlook, and
other GUI clients, I still opt out of the fancy
WYSIWYG composers and such and stick to plain text. It
just makes sense; you don't have to worry about
whether your user will be able to read your message
(well, not as much anyway) and you're less succeptable
to electronic nasties (to a degree).

> >Again, that wasn't the question.
>
> Again, the discussion had moved from addressing a
> particular message.

Oh come on, can we have a discussion without arguing
over who's on-topic and who's not?

> >Also, any opt-in e-mail marketing service worth a
> glance will include a setting that allows the
> recipient to specify a preference for HTML or
> plain-text messages.
> >
> Good point. Of course, by this criterion, most
> aren't worth a glance - but I suppose that goes
> without saying.

;) Yes, it goes without saying. *lol* I love having
the choice of plain text. :)

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l