RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer

Subject: RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer
From: Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:17:02 -0700

I always though proposal writing was the purest form of technical
writing as it had to not only be correct and accurate, but had to
make the reader know WHY something was done the way it was.

A proposal is also a legal contract. For example, incorrect math extensions can destroy a company when they are held to the quoted amounts. That may be small for light bulbs, but when you get into some of the routers in telecom or bridges, etc. can amount to massive funds.

I am not sure I would say that proposal writing is the purist form of tech writing. What I do say is that a proposal is about the steak not the sizzle. I spend a significant part of my time deleting the sales hype from what I am given. Often, there is nothing left and we must create the steak. Usually, the real info can be turned over to the marketing section for better sales hype than when they only focused on the sizzle.

Nora

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l